Leyna – my 9 year old daughter- cried on my bed today about how boring this whole COVID-19 social distancing is. I feel for her and the rest of our kids. It really seems like Groundhog Day around here, and it’s so hard to come up with new and exciting things for them to look forward to. We rely on pizza takeout to mark the end of the week, and we try to find something “fun” to do each weekend.
Next weekend, on April 25th, that’s going to be participating in the GISH 1-Day Play-At-Home Scavenger Hunt. And I want you to join my team!
More on that in a bit, but first, a bit more about GISH and this event, straight from Misha Collins! You may have heard of him. He’s kinda a big deal. He’s one of the stars of a little show called Supernatural. He’s also the founder of GISH.
I had a chance to talk with Misha about the 1-Day Play-At-Home Scavenger Hunt this week.
I’m trying to get a handle on homeschooling, but so far it’s been a real challenge. I’ve got some of their best friends co-sheltering in place with us, so we have a tight-knit group of kids that I’m trying to corral. So far, we’re mostly playing games and doing creative projects like woodworking, cooking, and arguing about what constitutes “enough” screen time on a given day.
View this post on Instagram
You can find all the details on the official site here, but the quick info is this:
- The 1-Day Play-At-Home Scavenger Hunt will take place on Saturday, April 25th.
- You have to sign up by April 21st.
- It’s only $15 to join!
- You only need to pay for anyone over 14 who’s participating. Younger kids can still help out with the challenges at no cost.
- Each registration will also help provide 10 meals to kids who rely on schools and after-school programs to eat. As of March, kids have missed over 640,000 school meals!
- You can create a team of up to 15 people (remember kids under 14 are not included in that count).
- If you don’t have your own team, you can let GISH add you to one.
This is a low-stress event meant to be less about winning and more about coming together to have some fun and make a difference, while we also break up the monotony of our day-to-day right now.
So… who wants to be on my team?? I have space for 14 other adults. All you have to do is register ASAP and look for team ItsOKIfThisSucks
It’s my hope that my team fills up and then you all create other teams, too!
Tag me in your GISH adventures next weekend on Instagram (@jillkraus.e) and Twitter (@babyrabies) so I can see and share them! I don’t know about you, but I’m excited to have something to look forward to.
- Itchy Skin Is Not What We Need Right Now - September 21, 2020
- Headaches: Why Do We Keep Shrugging Them Off When We Could Get Help? - August 21, 2020
- Showing My Scaffolding - August 19, 2020